Tuesday, November 13, 2007

You firkin to me?


Made it to 75th Street Brewery for the Espresso Porter, thanks to the heads up by KC Beer Blog

This was my first visit and I was lucky enough to find a place on the street right in front. This was a night of firsts as I executed my first parallel park while on the phone trying to get my brother to come down and meet me. The place was busy (where do they all park?), but I was able to get a seat at the bar right next to the nitro tap. I had a hard time getting the bartender's attention, but finally was able to ask for the espresso porter. It took a good 30-45 seconds for the nitro tap to dispense 16 oz for which I was charged 4 bucks. Sweet deal! It formed up a finger width head and surprisingly only a faint aroma of coffee. I've never had a porter before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. My first impression was that it did not have as much body as a stout, but it was smoother, with less carbonation. The only bitterness was coming from the espresso and the aftertaste was just like drinking coffee. I think this is the first beer I've ever had that made me wish I had a donut! Although, this combination has occurred to others.


This is great place for drinking beer! The bar is spacious, regulars get to keep a mug behind the bar, there are plenty tables where a gang of 4-6 people could form up their own little party and the place is ringed with ledges so you always have a place to put your beer. It has a neighborhood bar feel, they even had a newspaper at one end of the bar that people were sharing!

There were two small TV's behind the bar. The guy with the KU mug next to me kept haranguing the bartender to "put on the Dukeez!" Apparently a basketball fan, he was dying to see Duke play New Mexico State. The other set had BBC America's drama: Torchwood. I like British TV series, the actors aren't all products of plastic surgeons, which is pleasing to me.

I overheard the three slackers on my left talking about how they found out about the Espresso Stout from reading the KC Beer Blog! The gal said she found KC Beer Blog through the MySpace site, one guy said, "well you sent me that e-mail" and the other guy said, "I don't know who that guy is that writes the KC Beer Blog, but he writes about beer, so thats good enough for me." I was tempted to ask, "Do you mean Bull or Wes?"

I was finally able to get the barkeep to stop and talk to me. I asked how long a firkin like the one they tapped tonight would last. He said, "Oh, that's not a firkin. That's just one of our regular rotation of brews we do. But we did tap a firkin last Friday and it lasted till about 8:00"



Wha? Missed the fir - why no E-mail? Damn, still a firkin virgin.

4 comments:

a beer sort of girl said...

You crack me up. never had a porter before...?!?!

Glad you enjoyed 75th Street tho!

Marlies said...

who are you calling a slacker?

Muddy Mo said...

Marlies,

Don't take offense, it's a term of endearment I use for your cohort: young working age adults smart enough to stay off the corporate merry-go-round.

Howling Lion said...

Not only did I get my first Firkin last Friday night, I got to tap the keg.