Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bloomsday in May


I attended the absolutely free 2008 KC Literary Festival yesterday. I really enjoyed, "James Joyce’s Ulysses Scene Adaptations" which began at O’Dowd’s Little Dublin Pub, progressed to the Plaza Sidewalks, and then a finale on the Main Stage. It was performed by costumed local equity actors in 19th century dress acting out selected scenes of Lary Optiz's Bloomsday: 16 June 1904 an adaptation of James Joyce’s classic novel, Ulysses.

Bloomsday is a commemoration observed annually on 16 June in Dublin and elsewhere to celebrate the life of Irish writer James Joyce and relive the events in his novel Ulysses, all of which took place on the same day in Dublin in 1904.

I also heard Deborah Rodriguez, author of Kabul Beauty School and Larry Kirwan, author of Green Suede Shoes discuss non-fiction writing; And Stanley Lombardo, an American professor of Classics at the University of Kansas. Dr. Lombardo is a fairly talented guy. Fluent in Greek and Latin, he has translated the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid. His translations are unique in that they are rendered with an oratory style.

Since I didn't arrive until 5:00, I missed Bill Yenne, author of GUINNESS: The 250 Year Search for the Perfect Pint, talk about the world famous brewery. And I did not attend the event about blogging, featuring local blogger, Rita Arens.

Over three hours of entertainment and I didn't spend a dime. I guess I should kick a sawbuck to the organizers, BOOK-A-FRIEND.

No comments: