Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2nd Edition of, "What Would Jesus Do?", Tuesday




On Sunday, my Mother called me with news that her brother had died. It was not unexpected, but depressing nonetheless. My Mother is advanced in age and healthy, but she could not remember many of the details from the call she received. So, it was up to me to make a call to gather this information so I could convey the news to various relatives. My Uncle was 81 when he passed. The person I had to call was his wife, Holly, who is 41.

You see, Uncle Bob was a very successful businessman who had accumulated a substantial nest egg before he met Holly when he was in his late 60's. Soon after, Holly had a baby and said it was his. He accepted paternity and began paying child support. When Uncle Bob was in his mid 70's, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Soon after, to his family's surprise, he married Holly and they moved to Florida. Soon after that, Uncle Bob's nest egg moved to Florida, too.

When I got Holly on the phone I explained why I was calling. She proceeded to gave me a lengthy, almost breathless account of all the details of his last days and hours and concluded by saying he would be cremated. I thanked her for the information.

Unfortunately, Holly had failed to provide several critical details, such as the date and time of death, where he was when he died and where he would be interred. When I started asking these questions, I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was becoming agitated. When I asked what city the hospice where he died was located, Holly curtly replied, "Why do you need to know that? I can send you a death certificate if you want one!"

WWJD?


2 comments:

Beer Blokes said...

I can't help thinking he might say; "Grab a beer, relax and leave this one to me."

Let me know if, in three months time her dog gets run over or all her hair falls out.

Cheers,
Prof. Pilsner

Muddy Mo said...

A fine answer, Prof. Yes, I do belief endless recurrences of Ezcema, Psoriasis, and Seborrheic Dermatitis might fit the bill.

Now that we have dispensed with that, I'm grabbing a Sam Adams Dark Lager.