Saturday, March 27, 2010

It's Billmon, Baby



Billmon, the greatest political blogger ever, whose self-imposed exile I still have not recovered from, on occasion posts to his diary at Daily Kos, which is one of the few reasons I visit that site.

The most recent event of sufficient interest to warrant Billmon's comment was how Eric Cantor's responded to violent acts and threats against Democrats by saying, well who knows what the hell he said, it was complete gibberish.

However, if you are so inclined, pull up a stool and sidle up to the bar, while a consummate connoisseur of right wing distillations recites the recipe for Cantor's little concoction. Something Billmon likes to call, Spock with a Beard.



Here is Cantor's statement as reported by the Atlantic.

There've been a lot of reports and the potential for violence against members of Congress over the past several days. Let me be clear: I do not condone violence, there are no leaders in this building, no rank and file members in this building that condone violence, period...

I've received threats...not only for my positions, but also because I'm Jewish...

Just recently I have been directly threatened. A bullet was shot through the window of my campaign office in Richmond this week...

I want to stress this, and it's very important. Legitimate threats should be treated as security issues, and they should be dealt with by the appropriate law enforcement officials. It is reckless to use these incidents as media vehicles for political gain. That is why I have deep concerns DCCC Chairman Chris Van Hollen and DNC Chairman Tim Kaine in particular are dangerously fanning the flames by suggesting that these incidents be used as a political weapon. Security threats against members of Congress is not a partisan issue, and they should never be treated that way. To use such threats as political weapons is reprehensible. I'm not naive enough to think that letters, statements, or press releases will prevent anyone disturbed enough to commit violence from acting. But I do know that such letters, statements and press releases can very easily fan the flames by ratcheting up the rhetoric. Some will only inflame these situations to dangerous levels. Enough is enough, it has to sop. We need to move forward and get back to addressing the important issues facing our nation and let law enforcement handle these situations.

No comments: