Thursday, June 23, 2011

KC HopFest 2011 - Part II: "Tap Control"



Update 6/24/11: This post has been modified from the original after I became uncomfortable with the caustic nature of some of my criticisms. - MM


I left off my previous post heading out to try another special KC HopFest offering: Left Hand Brewing TNT

The line is short. I can see the TNT tap. I am looking forward to this. I've enjoyed many Left Hand brews: Milk Stout, Sawtooth and 400 Lb Monkey come to mind. I try to make eye-contact with the fellow behind the table and say, "Gimme shum uh dat TNT shit man!" "I'd like the TNT, please." Without looking up, the guy says, "Do you know what it is?"




I suppose the MO Bev guy was just trying to warn off an unsuspecting HopFest participant from an unpleasant craft beer experience, but I don't think his approach could be more douchey. Sadly, the guy upped the "D" quotient by only serving me about one ounce, even after I assured him I knew what I was asking for.

When I went back and said, "gimme sum fukin moar!", "Its good, can you top it up this time?" He still only gave me half a glass. All this without ever looking up. Way to show off that St. Louis charm, MO Bev!

Happily, I can say this was the only truly negative experience I had, and I can't put any blame on the hosts of the event. It was really a small incident in the grand scheme of things.

Left-Hand describes TNT as a Weizen Doppelbock. Originally, I thought I was getting a Dunkelweizen, but I did recall that Molly said it was smokey. The great revelation for me was that I REALLY liked it! The Lapsang Souchong Black Tea is the source of the smoke flavor; From Wikipedia: "lapsang leaves are traditionally smoke-dried over pinewood fires". The smoke is not overwhelming, it complements the roasty malts and helps to mask the 7.2% ABV.

Next up, Part III: "Many Beers Had I"

2 comments:

Ed said...

When I went to try the TNT, the MO Bev guy did the same thing to me... but at least he explained himself by saying "I'm only going to give you a small pour to start with because this is one you'll either love or hate." Fortunately, I didn't like it.

Muddy Mo said...

Ed - It makes sense to warn people, and I'm not expecting a maitre d at every tap, but the guy had zero manners.